Audio Producer, City Cast Denver
City Cast is launching a daily local news podcast for Denver in early 2021. We’re hiring a Producer to do the hard but gratifying work of shaping each daily episode into essential local listening. You have strong audio editing chops and a distinctive creative sensibility, with a love of sound and craft. You’ll be spending your days knee-deep in audio—cutting tape, mixing sound, and in general making great content. You also care deeply about local news and you know how to identify great guests and to book them, often under deadline pressure.
Who are you?
You are a versatile and inventive audio producer. You care deeply about Denver and avidly follow what’s going on in the city.
- Scour the internet, newsletters, blogs, social and other outlets daily to stay ahead of Denver’s most important stories—helping the Lead Producer and Host decide on topics and guests.
- Identify, research, vet, and book dynamic and memorable show guests—pre-interviewing them, crafting host questions, logging tape, and editing and mixing the resulting audio into great listening.
- Inject style and distinctive flair into each day’s episode via your discerning use of good tape, and creative audio flourishes.
- Excellent audio editing skills, with the ability to quickly identify the most compelling elements of a recorded interview, edit those elements into a clear narrative, and mix audio.
- Experience producing interviews from soup to nuts–from identifying the right guests and pre-interviewing, to flagging the most valuable tape and editing it into a compelling story.
- Experience making editorial decisions in a deadline-driven environment, with particular emphasis on identifying compelling stories, and pinpointing good “talkers” to bring those stories to life.
- Strong communications skills, with a knack for writing audio scripts that sound natural and conversational.
- The proven ability to make challenging editorial decisions quickly and thoughtfully.
- A passion for Denver and for local journalism.
- A longing to make audio content that sounds delightful and fresh.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, love of adventure, and the flexibility and willingness to fill a variety of roles in a nimble, startup environment.
- Possibly: ambition to serve as on-air talent for the show, as a guest host or contributor.
The Producer reporters to the Lead Producer for City Cast Denver. This position is full-time, with competitive salary and benefits, and will be located in Denver, though we’re all working remotely for now. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
Application deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 20.